Growing up as an only child...

Wednesday, 8 June 2016

Being an only child isn't as fabulous as everybody thinks it's cracked up to be!




1. Being impatient

I mean everyone can be impatient but being an only child being impatient is taken to a WHOLE new level. I mean in my world as an only child the limelight is kind of always on you and everything kind of revolves around you whether you like it or not.

2. Everybody just knows your that 'only child'

I don't know how but everybody knows when you're an only child, it's not as if I go out of my way to tell people I'm an only child. Phrases I hear are 'You're such an only child' or 'You're spoilt' - I remember the days back in school I was called spoilt when I actually really wasn't.

3. You can be pretty socially awkward

When I was younger playing with Bratz or Polly Pockets was something I had to do alone, I never had someone to play with these toys with me. I still find meeting new people really hard and I'm either really shy, awkward or loud in these situations when it comes down to it. (no matter how sarcastic and rude my friends actually think I am, I do get very shy).





4. When your parents need something, you are never getting out of it

I remember when my Mum bought our first laptop and dongle and I had to show her how to set everything up it was one of the biggest missions of my life, though when she got her first iPhone that was really the part where I had to teach her the ins and outs of the latest technology on the iPhone 3GS. I remember having to upload pictures onto mums Facebook profile for her (even if I had shown her about 100 times previously the night before).

5. Your parents baby you, and it's not always a good thing

While all my best friends went to real university away from there families I stuck with mine and study at my local college where I study my degree. I'm forever having no freedom, I mean apart from hanging around with friends and going to work, I always have that text 'when are you coming home' or the 'where are you' text. Whereas my friends probably here from there parents once in a blue moon and that's when it's something important.

6. Your actually pretty good at saying the word 'no' as an only child

I've always been one to be really good at saying no and this is due to peer pressure from friends or people when I was at school - while some of my other friends would be drinking at the age of 14/15 i was that girl sat at home doing her homework or having girly sleepovers with her friends instead because what my other friends would be doing didn't appeal to me and I always stuck to the rules that I was given by my parents - even if I was curious about what something was like I didn't do it because I was told no.

Being an only child is pretty good and don't get me wrong I don't think I would want it any other way - but the ideas of having brothers and sisters has always been cool for me. Though when I had to stay with my dads girlfriend with her son I got really defensive and didn't like the idea of having somebody else around.

Thanks for reading,













1 comment

  1. I've always liked being an only child, but about twice a month my friends ask me if it isn't boring. I think that's one of the biggest perks of being an only child: you learn to keep yourself entertained even when there's no one around.
    The only thing I don't like is how afraid my mom is that something bad will happen to me. She has a list of classes I take, when and on which day, so she knows when I'll get home. It wouldn't be so bad if I weren't almost a junior in college...
    While I was typing this comment I actually had to help my mom out because the tv had somehow reset itself. So much truth in this post!

    x Envy
    Lost in Translation

    ReplyDelete

Latest Instagrams

© Two Chloes, One Blog. Design by Fearne.